ASR-33 Teletype: Part 1

I have started work on the Teletype now. The first challenge was figuring out how to take things apart. Everything is so well designed that it all fits perfectly in place with very little space between parts.

I am starting with the keyboard assembly first. I will be cleaning it and then replacing keys (if needed) from our spare ASR-33 to make the nicest looking keyboard I can. Removing the keyboard was a challenge as I had to run to Sears to pick up a slightly longer and thinner screwdriver to get at the mounting screws that were a little out of reach. 




I removed the modem that was attached to the Teletype in order to get at the keyboard better. It appears that all communication to the computer and Teletype goes through the modem first. I have yet to find any schematics or documentation for it (If you know of where it might be hiding, please don't hesitate to let me know!)



There will be more posts soon as I start oiling and greasing the countless gears, springs, and levers that make this mechanical marvel work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Power Supply: The Mystery Continues

Setting up our new Raspberry Pi0-based Flip Chip Tester (FCT)