ASR-33 Teletype: Part 2

Last night I started removing keys from the keyboard that are cracked, or that I just wanted to replace (mainly swapping the ESC key for the ALT MODE key.) I will need to get some cleaning supplies and clean down all the keys and the cover before oiling and re-assembling the unit.




I also disassembled the modem to look for any more information on it, but alas, I found nothing helpful. I found some large capacitors that look suspicious. They have what appears to be hints of some corrosion on one of the terminals, but it could also be old solder or flux.  I will remove them from the circuit later to test them further and see if they are truly bad. I also found a corner of one of the boards that has some suspicious burn marks. I suspect this was from a soldering iron, but I will check the components over thoroughly just to be safe. The dark green board is probably one of the most populated PCBs I have ever seen.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting up our new Raspberry Pi0-based Flip Chip Tester (FCT)